Friday, November 26, 2010

What A Thanksgiving...

I've thought about this post a lot - I really didn't want to bore everyone to death with my huge list of what I'm thankful for...but Thanksgiving gives us all a time to reflect on that.  Whether or not you want to read through this is your choice, but it's healthier for me to get it out.  (Plus, if I type it out instead of saying it, I may avoid getting too emotional...)

I am so thankful for my son, Ryland.  So, so thankful.  Yesterday was very emotional for me...the last 3 Thanksgivings were very emotional for me, too.  It was hard for me to be thankful for what I had when I was so focused on what I didn't have.  The adoption process was SOOOO hard and was especially difficult during Holidays.  On Holidays I always had a sad feeling...I just knew my child was out there...not with us...and it was very tough.  I am so thankful for a beautiful woman on the other side of the world and for the sacrifice that she made.  Ryland is amazing and for sure my son!  I love him to pieces.  I'm thankful for all the hugs and kisses and I hope that he never gets "too old" for that.  I'm thankful for all the little ways he makes my day (randomly telling me I'm beautiful, his sweet smile and the hilarious way he says things like "don't be jealous" or "Mama - appreciate!").

I am also so thankful for Dustin.   This year more than ever...  We have been through so much and the journey of a lifetime this year.  I don't know that I could've done it without anyone else. (I'm sure I would have driven them crazy and they would've left me stranded somewhere in Kazakhstan!)  I tell Dust all the time that he is my rock and it's so true.  He's dependable, calm, patient, thinks things through, isn't reactive...basically all the things that I'm not...well besides dependable, I'm pretty dependable.  I need Dustin to balance me out.  Thanks for putting up with me all these years, Dust!  Thanks for not complaining about my crazy need to have a million Christmas trees, my ridiculousness about needing to have everything planned out, etc. and just accepting the fact that it's just a "Cort" thing.  Rule # 1 - APPRECIATE...and I do...I appreciate you!

Sadie - what can I say?  BEST.GOLDEN RETRIEVER.EVER  We <3 you so much and our little family wouldn't be the same without her!  Thank you so much for being so sweet with Ry - you're the best!  Don't worry, I'll be sure to let Santa know to leave you an extra big bone stuffed with peanut butter this year!

My family.  Wow...where to begin?  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO FOR US!  Thanks for taking my phone calls and calming me down when I'm freaking out.  Thanks for instantly taking to Ry and falling in love with him as much as we did.  Thanks for playing along with my constant need to "poll" everyone before I make a decision.  Thanks for being brutally honest even when I don't appreciate the fact that you dislike my sweet Michael Jackson look-alike new leather jacket.  Thanks for all the advice and for just putting up with me in general!  I love you all. 

So, I pretty much have an amazing pack of friends and I am really thankful for them!  I love you all so much!  Thanks for always standing by me and for having my back.  I'm sure this sounds cheesy, but I'm pretty thankful for Facebook.  It's awesome to have a place where I can go to check-in on everyone.  I'm thankful that I've been able to re-connect with so many great people from my past.  I am so thankful that I got the opportunity to move all around my whole life and meet all the amazing people that I have.  I love you guys!

I am so thankful for both of our jobs and our work families that really supported us through our travels this year!  We were and still are simply amazed by the outpouring of support from our work families.

I'm beyond thankful for the support system we've found with other families who have adopted from Kazakhstan.  I really can't put into words how incredible it is to honestly know people who have been through and are going through exactly what you've been through before. 

I have a lot to be thankful for...I truly do...

Love,
Cort

No comments:

Post a Comment