Sunday, October 24, 2010

Identity Crisis

For all of you that don’t know me…Hi, my name is Cortney. Ry recently received his first invite to a friend from school’s Birthday Party. Yesterday I took him to the Skating Rink for THE EVENT! He’s been talking about it for 2 weeks! And then it happened. “Hi, you must be Ryland’s mom.” Wow…it hit me. For a moment (well who am I kidding…for most of the party) I was stunned… had my identity really changed to “Ryland’s Mom”? I was speechless.
I can’t tell you how many times in my life people start a convo with “Oh, you’re Cortney – I’ve heard so much about you!” Not anymore… I was pretty depressed about this all last night. I like my identity. I like being Cort. I like thinking that I’m a pretty big deal. It was a hard night.

And then this morning when I woke up, I ‘got it’. My identity has changed. I AM RYLAND’S MOM…and what an honor that is! I don’t think that any story that someone’s told about me could be more flattering than that. “Oh, that lady over there…that’s Ryland’s Mom.” Well, yes…yes I am – and proud of it!!



Ryland’s Mama (AKA Cortney)

No comments:

Post a Comment